On Jun 28, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Greg wrote:
> Have you tried IntelliJ with the La Clojure plugin? I tried all 3 IDEs and I
> was most impressed with IntelliJ IDEA. It's not too difficult to setup, and
> once you do it's really nice and has I think all of the stuff you asked about
> (syntax coloring, auto-completion, doc access, etc.).

Thanks for the recommendation. Somehow I had overlooked this one previously.

I just downloaded and installed it, installed the Plugin (a little weird that
there's no "Download and Install" button when you select the plugin, and you
have to know to right-click, but the assembla instructions told me I'd have to
right click it was okay), but then what?

The assembla instructions
(http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/clojure/Getting_Started_with_Idea_and_La_Clojure)
 have a section for "To checkout a project from git" and a section for "To open
an existing maven-based project", but I don't want to do either. I want to
write and run some Clojure code from scratch. I'd like a REPL and an editor
buffer or two...

Starting from Create New Project I clicked through a bunch of dialogs that I
didn't understand, said okay to a warning about not assigning a JDK (because I
didn't know what else to do there), and eventually got what looks like a
project window but not (as far as I see) an editor buffer or a REPL.

Returning to the assembla instructions I saw (both in the git section and in
the maven section) "Choose Tools|Clojure REPL|Add new Clojure REPL to launch a
REPL on your project." So I tried this but got "Can't creat REPL. Clojure home
path is not configured correctly!"

It's possible that this is the environment that I'm looking for, but my new
user experience is not going very well at this point.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

 -Lee

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspec...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/