On 1 July 2010 16:49, Kevin Livingston <kevinlivingston.pub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some of the build tools like Maven can help a lot.

(Thanks for your other comments, which I've cut. But this one made me think).

I've heard comments like this elsewhere (with regard to both Maven and
Leiningen), but I'm not quite sure I follow. You say

[...]
> put the jar on ProjB's class path

But as I understand it, ProjB doesn't *have* a classpath in its own
right - rather, when you run ProjB, you specify a classpath (and if
you get it wrong, ProjB won't run). But there's no concrete,
discoverable entity that can be considered "ProjB's classpath", and
referenced from elsewhere. Otherwise, the often-quoted clj.bat driver
script could be written as

Get %1's classpath into CLASSPATH somehow
java clojure.main %1

and nobody would ever worry about classpaths again :-)

If Maven (and/or Leiningen) actually do maintain, for each project,
metadata including its required classpath, then I'd love to know how
to extract that metadata - because I could certainly use it to write a
generic driver script (at least for my own purposes, even if it wasn't
sufficiently general for every use).

Paul.