On Jul 7, 9:12 am, David Nolen <dnolen.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Zach Tellman <ztell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > With this in mind, I decided to make the thinnest possible wrapper
> > around Netty such that a person could play around with alternate ways
> > to use Clojure effectively.  The result can be found at
> >http://github.com/ztellman/aleph.
>
> I played around with this some. Throughput is of course ridiculous (8+ K
> req/s on my machine). One thing is that this approach encourages using
> Clojure concurrency primitives over participating in the Netty NIO design.
> Is that the intent?
>
> David

Developers are still required to "participate" in the NIO design, in
that blocking calls in the request handler need to be avoided to reap
the full benefits.  Netty provides a lot of nice abstractions over
NIO, but kind of punts on how to effectively manage the concurrency it
requires.  Clojure's concurrency primitives don't really have a
counterpart in Netty, so I don't see why they shouldn't be used.

If you really want access to Netty, though, (:channel request) will
return an org.jboss.netty.channel.Channel object, which will allow you
to do pretty much anything you want.