> Interestingly, [Erjang][1] (a port of Erlang to the JVM) apparently
> performs TCO while claiming to stay "reasonably fast". The gimmick

I have never done extensive benchmarking of clojure, but given the
frequent mentions of use of '-server' in order to achieve specific
performance goals, I get the impression clojure (i.e. Rich) definitely
wants to take advantage of all the optimizations the JIT can offer now
and in the future. Trampoline-based TCO would, as far as I can tell,
always defeat the JIT's notion of a call site - unless the JIT is made
to understand the trampoline (but then are we getting close to full
TCO support anyway? I dunno, I'm definitely not an expert on this
topic...). So, I would expect that those cases which are aggressively
optimized by JIT:ing, such as eliminating method lookups by inline
caching in light loops, would suffer potentially very extreme
performance impacts which aren't fixed by just avoiding allocation as
is mentioned in the erjang wiki page. Or is this over-stating the
problem?

--
/ Peter Schuller