On Aug 13, 11:09 am, Wilson MacGyver <wmacgy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assumed he didn't use OpenGL because it's a 2d tile game?
> Using OpenGL for 2d or 2.5d (isometric) is really only a good idea
> if you can assume the target has hardware OpenGL acceleration.
>
> Even then you may not want to do that, due to battery concerns.

But there are some good OpenGL 2D game engines for Java, e.g.
Slick[1].  There's also Penumbra[2] which nicely wraps LWJGL for
Clojure.  I ask this mostly because I'm making my own 2D game and
somewhat torn between Java2D and OpenGL.  Penumbra is pretty solid in
my experience.

What do you mean by "battery concerns"?

--Brian

[1] http://slick.cokeandcode.com/