On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 9:29 PM, HB <hubaghd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
> I finished reading "Programming Clojure" and "Practical Clojure" and
> I'm hooked :)
> Please count me in the Clojure club.
> But I failed how to think in Clojure.
> My main career is around Java web applications (Hibernate, Spring,
> Lucene) and Web services.
> Lets not talk about Java web frameworks neither Clojure ones, I want
> to talk in general.
> Usually we create some domain entities, map them with Hibernate/
> iBatis.
> I don't know how a Clojure application would be build without objects.
> I think Scala really shines here, this OOP/FP is really powerful
> approach (please note I'm not saying Clojure isn't good, I don't seel
> flame war)
> How to think in Clojure? how to achieve this shift?

It does require a significant shift in thinking. I think you'll be surprised
how far maps and functions will take you if you're used to thinking in OOP.

And contrary to popular belief Clojure is also a hybrid OOP/FP approach:
multimethods, protocols, deftype, defrecord, definterface, etc. will let you
utilize the better aspects of OOP design. However you should be cautious to
reach for these. They are easily misapplied. Stick with the core
datastructures (maps, vectors, sets, lists) and fns and you'll do just fine.

David