My standard practice is to split the (Emacs) screen, one side is a
Clojure mode edit session, the other a repl.  Best of both worlds.
One can easily build up complex expressions as required,  and still
easily evaluate expressions in either side of the screen.

If you are not familiar with Emacs and want to see how this works,
check out Craig Andera's screencasts at
http://www.pluralsight-training.net/microsoft/olt/course/toc.aspx?n=clojure-concurrency-tutorial
. He uses the same approach.

These screencasts are well worth watching, BTW.  Good stuff.