Dear Clojure Group,

I wanted to expand the 'infix' macro presented in chapter 7.3.1 of
'Clojure in Action' to handle nested s-expressions:

My first version did not work:

(defmacro my-infix [expr]
  (if (coll? expr)
    (let [ [left op right] expr]
      (list op (my-infix left) (my-infix right)))
    expr))

;; Test:
(my-infix ((3 * 5) - (1 + 1)))

;; Wrong number of args (1) passed to: user$my-infix
;;  [Thrown class java.lang.IllegalArgumentException]

However, the following version does work:

(defmacro new-infix [expr]
  (if (coll? expr)
    (let [ [left op right] expr]
      `(~op (new-infix ~left) (new-infix ~right)))
    expr))

(new-infix ((3 * 5) - (1 + 1)))
;; --> 13

(macroexpand '(new-infix ((3 * 5) - (1 + 1))))

;; (- (user/new-infix (3 * 5)) (user/new-infix (1 + 1)))

I would love to know why the first version 'my-infix' throws an
exception. Can anybody give me a hint? I hope the answer could give me
a better understanding of how macros work.