That was it.  I had to add the entire path up to and including to
contrib jar in order for "clj" to work.  Merely adding the directory
to the classpath was not sufficient, and the clj script ignored the
value of my env variable $CLASSPATH, so I had to edit the clj script
itself to get this working.

steven