It is wonderful that people are so willing to help with a specific
problem, and I encourage you to continue doing so, but I don't think
anyone has answered the real question.  Is there material out there
that describes some of the mechanisms, tools, ideas, etc. that will
allow the average clojure user to optimize their code.  Yes, Yes, a
good implementation is key, but you need to know the best practices in
order to develop that implementation.

Not that I have done this myself (yet!) but there are some that argue
that reimplementing certain time critical components as macros will
greatly speed up the code.  See the link below:
http://www.bestinclass.dk/index.clj/2010/03/functional-fluid-dynamics-in-clojure.html

Optimization is a topic that I would like to see more on.