My simple web app
(http://blog.mired.org/2010/11/x10-controller-in-clojure.html) has
some stuff that needs to happen just once (in this case, opening the
serial port). It's not clear how to get this to happen using ring. If
I do it inside my ring handler, then it gets run on every request, and
I have to check to make sure it's not run multiple times. If I run it
outside the handler, then it gets run when I do "lein uberwar", which
is simply wrong.

When the deployment platform activates the war would seem to be the
right time to run this ("war load time"?). So maybe this is a question
that depends on the deployment platform, or war? However, a quick
google search didn't turn up anything that looked interesting.

Anyone got suggestions on how to set up code to be run when Jetty (or
tomcat, or ...)?

        thanks,
        <mike
--