On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Ken Wesson <kwess...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Stuart Halloway
> <stuart.hallo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Worse, from the sounds of it the new + isn't exactly the old
> >> unchecked-+; it still checks for overflow rather than allowing
> >> wrapping. That's going to add a compare-and-branch to every add
> >> instruction and halve the speed of those operators on typical
> >> hardware. Compare-and-throw-exception is hardly superior to
> >> compare-and-box-in-BigInteger, since it's still slow AND now some
> >> arithmetic code that used to work but be slow will now explode in your
> >> face.

Hacker's Delight shows how the overflow check can be done w/ around 6-8% hit
on performance. Clojure implements that strategy.

Arguments without any knowledge of the details seems fruitless. Why not try
the primitive branch yourself and report back w/ actual experience? I've
been using 1.3 exclusively for some time and experienced no trouble.

David