I looked into this a while back. Unfortunetly, Clojure really is
designed to be run on a VM. It makes heavy use of the GC, reflection,
and OOP.

> Clojure is a fantastic language (Although I have just scratched the
> surface) and It would be "nice" to have it natively compiled.

Why would it be nice? When I started working on clojure-cxx I thought
it would be nice as well. But the fact remains, you gain so much from
writing it on a VM, it would take a massive effort to port it to C++
or another machine language. And in the end, your "native" code really
isn't going to be too much faster. You might get better memory
performance, but I'm not convinced it's worth the effort.

Even if you get all that straightened out, you still lack a good
standard lib. This is what really killed the project for me. Read up
on C++ linking sometime. Trying to get something like .JARs or .net
assemblies working on a native level is a nightmare to say the least.

If anyone has questions about the work I did, let me know, I'd be more
than happy to expound on my findings.

Timothy

--
“One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was
that–lacking zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination