Steele is advocating binaries trees as an way of
doing parallel computation. I think that this idea
is reasonable but might be more effectively applied
in Clojure.

The idea of "binary" could be expanded in a very
simple way to use log32 instead which is a natural
mapping to the Clojure data structures.

However, this might be too coarse for some computations.
I would propose a middle-course between these two ideas.

I suggest that there is a natural mapping between the
bit-partitioning of data structures in Clojure (see the
section on Bit-Partitioned Hash Tries in CiSP) and the
partitioning of a problem for parallel work.

If the bit-partitioning is variable as a function of
the "size of the work pieces" and "the number of
parallel processors", that is,
  (partition chunksize processors)
then we can dynamically decide how to break up a
computation on a data structure.

Tim Daly