On Mar 11, 8:35 am, Alan <a...@malloys.org> wrote:

> > Suppose I need mathematical 2D vector functions:
>
> > (ns geometry.vector)
>
> > (defstruct vector :x :y)
>
> > (defn +
> >         "Add vectors v and w, yielding a vector"
> >         [ v w ]
> >         (...))
>
> > Which leads to the core "vector" function being shadowed by my struct
> > and the core "+" function shadowed by my function.  What is the
> > idiomatic Clojure approach for handling this situation?  Is it through
> > careful use of :require and :import parts of a (ns ...) form?

> user=> (ns math (:refer-clojure :rename {vector cvector}))
> nil
> math=> vector
> java.lang.Exception: Unable to resolve symbol: vector in this context
> (NO_SOURCE_FILE:0)
> math=> (def vector identity)
> #'math/vector
> math=> (vector 10)
> 10
> math=> (cvector 10)
> [10]

Thanks for that -- please bear with me on this: does that mean that
given the flexible options available in the (ns...) form as shown
here, Clojure developers don't need to choose non-shadowed names like
<vector> or (defn vector+), but rather use the more natural forms and
use (ns...) clauses to make everything clear as needed?

Thanks,

Stu