Stuart,

I still think in a very OO way - which is probably why I am having
difficulty with this :-)

A common OO pattern is to encapsulate complex resource acquisition/release
within a class.

I can do this with gen-class - since I control ctor args and the instances
initial state, as well as having post-init for when some part of my
initialisation requires a reference to itself.

I'm guessing that I can't do this with deftype/reify - so this might be
another reason to fall back on gen-class ?

[although I could leave space for an atom in my state and provide ctor/dtor
fns which read/wrote this atom... - so I suppose this would be one way
around the problem,,,]

Would you mind clarifying ?

Thanks

Jules