I am using maven directly to work with clojure and I had the problem
with the tools.jar, too. I resolved it by adding the following block
to my pom.xml:

  <profiles>
    <profile>
      <id>default-tools.jar</id>
      <activation>
        <property>
          <name>java.vendor</name>
          <value>Sun Microsystems Inc.</value>
        </property>
      </activation>
      <dependencies>
        <dependency>
          <groupId>com.sun</groupId>
          <artifactId>tools</artifactId>
          <version>1.6.0</version>
          <scope>system</scope>
          <systemPath>${java.home}/../lib/tools.jar</systemPath>
        </dependency>
      </dependencies>
    </profile>
  </profiles>

After that it is still complaining: "warning: unabled to add tools.jar
to classpath. This may cause CDT initialization to fail."
But this does not seem to cause a problem.

Just wanted to share this bit of information with you,
Christian