Hi

On 20 May 2011 21:04, Lee Spector <lspec...@hampshire.edu> wrote:

> To clarify, David, when you say "it just worked" you mean that when you
> select Edit > Indent > Indent lines then the line containing the insertion
> point is moved (left or right, as appropriate) to conform to standard Lisp
> indentation conventions with respect to the code above it (e.g. with respect
> to the position that you are within an s-expression, etc.)?
>
> I note that there is some variation in what is the "standard" Lisp
> indentation convention in some cases, e.g. in certain special forms as
> opposed to ordinary s-expressions, but mainly I want to know what it is that
> you do to make "it" work and roughly what "it" is that then happens.

I've just given it a try now.

I went here:
http://clojure02.managed.contegix.com/display/doc/Getting+Started+with+JEdit

Then I installed jedit.  I'm using Ubuntu, so I just typed "apt-get
install jedit" and it installed without complaint.  Then I tried to
install the clojure and clojureshell plugins, but that failed because
the version of jedit was slightly too old.  (It's an old version of
Ubuntu, so not too surprising.)

The syntax highlighting and indentation seems to be completely
separate from the repl support, so I disabled the broken plugins,
downloaded the clojure.xml file from
https://github.com/djspiewak/jedit-modes/raw/master/clojure.xml and
put it into my ~/.jedit/modes directory, after which I edited the
~/.jedit/modes/catalog file as mentioned on the getting started page.

After that I closed and reopened jEdit.  Not sure if that was
necessary.  Then I created a file called test.clj and opened it with
jEdit.  At the bottom of the window I see "(clojure,none,UTF-8)".

If I type in some clojure code it seems to be indented OK when I press
Enter, although it seems to be a constant 2 space indent instead of
depending on the particular form.

Also, if I mangle the indentation on a bunch of code I can click on
Edit|Indent|Indent Lines to indent the line where the cursor is, or I
can e.g. select all and then Edit|Indent|Indent Lines to indent the
whole lot the same way it does while entering the code manually.

So maybe the problem you're having is that jEdit can't find the
clojure.xml mode file?

This is the first time I've ever tried jEdit, so if the above doesn't
help, sorry, I can help you :)

--
Michael Wood <esiot...@gmail.com>