I get reflection warnings on your `plusS` function.  I think it's from
adding the two `short`s.  Remember that Clojure 1.3 only supports `long` and
`double` primitives natively.  The compiler may be a missing a case for
conversion from `short` to `long`.

If this is performance-critical code you're writing in pure Clojure, try
using arrays of `long` instead.  If you need to save memory by using
`short`, try writing your array-adding method in Java.

-Stuart Sierra
clojure.com