Hi all. I've been looking at Clojure for the past month, having had a
previous look at it a couple of years ago and then moved on to other
things only to return to it now.

Over the past decade I have looked at many languages and many ways of
doing things. People may say this language or that language is
"general purpose", but the fact remains that languages have their
niches in which they excel and beyond which it'd be foolish to
venture.

Clojure should not attempt be a "mass success" language or worry about
its Tiobe index ranking.

Clojure, the way I see it, is most suitable for the advanced
independent developer. It is a language in the image of its creator,
Rich Hickey. It's not a language for the factory hen. It won't become
the next Java. Java already fills that niche, and despite what some
may say, I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I don't feel Clojure needs to "grow" - in terms of size of language.
In fact it would worry me enormously if Clojure's path is to "grow" in
size. It is fundamentally unsuited for that. If anything I wish for it
to shrink even further and further.

A Rich Hickey's quote comes to mind:
• (paraphrased) "Most Clojure programmers go through an arc.  First
they think “eww, Java” and try to hide all the Java.  Then they think
“ooh, Java” and realize that Clojure is a powerful way to write Java
code"
and "As I've said in my talks, most Clojure users go from "eww, Java
libs" to "ooh, Java libs", leveraging the fact there there is already
a lib for almost anything they need to do. And using the lib is
completely transparent, idiomatic and wrapper free." - Google verbatim
for sources.

Whereas when Steve Yegge writes: "which means that everyone (including
me!) who is porting Java code to Clojure (which, by golly, is a good
way to get a lot of people using Clojure) is stuck having to rework
the code semantically rather than just doing the simplest possible
straight port.  The more they have to do this, the more you're going
to shake users off the tree." all I could think on reading this is
"horror, horror, oh God, horror!!!; he really doesn't get it". First,
he shouldn't be porting Java code to clojure, Second, Clojure IS
fundamentally different from Java, and third, such said users who
don't want to touch Java should not touch Clojure.

Clojure shouldn't worry about growing; java already has innumerable
libs. Clojure, imho, should continue its - what I would dub -
"middleware begone!" path, in which it'd provide an end-to-end, down-
to-the-metal comprehensible system that an individual developer can
get his head round and know exactly what's happening with his code and
its environment here and everywhere.

I could write more, but I have to run. Regards.
J.