I have the identical problem to Shoeb. Toohey's suggestion did not
work for me. But I got it to work. What I found is that "lein deps"
downloaded the wrong version of swank-clojure.  Note that previous to
this I had done "lein plugin install swank-clojure 1.3.1" That
installed "swank-clojure-1.3.1.jar in ~/.lein/plugins .

My project.clj is...

(defproject incanter "0.0.1-SNAPSHOT"
  :description "Play with incanter"
  :dependencies [[incanter "1.2.3"]
                 [clojure "1.2.0"]
                 [clojure-contrib "1.2.0"]]
  :dev-dependencies  [[swank-clojure "1.3.1"]])

I do "lib deps"

But in my lib directory, I see "swank-
clojure-1.3.0-20110104.084027-21.jar" .

Doing "lein swank" gives the error Shoeb described.

If I simply delete the file "swank-
clojure-1.3.0-20110104.084027-21.jar" from my project's lib directory,
then "lein swank" works.

Why am I getting this wrong version of swank-clojure.jar?

--- Adam