On Jul 3, 5:21 pm, Christian Schuhegger
<christian.schuheg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nevertheless for large connected data graphs I think something like a
> data-schema is needed. Clojure would still follow its approach to only
> deal with maps, but there is a descriptive meta-data level in addition
> that explains the connection between those maps.
>
> I would agree to what was said elsewhere: the Clojure community has to
> come up with idioms on how to deal with large scale projects.

Christian, your thoughts, generally speaking, chime with mine. I would
suggest though that the clojure community does not try to reinvent the
wheel where a well-engineered one has been made elsewhere (Rich
Hickey's reluctance to give clojure a yet-another-distribution/
clustering-story and instead suggest a look at existing ones is one of
the many reasons I believe he has admirable and reassuring
sensibilities "Given the diversity, sophistication, maturity,
interoperability, robustness etc of these options, it's unlikely I'm
going to fiddle around with some language-specific solution."
http://groups.google.com/group/clojure/msg/4a7a866c45dc2101 - btw
Rich, if you're reading this, slightly on a tangent, I do agree that
I'm yet to be convinced by Erlang's distributed-at-all-time model,
which you expressed reservations about based on your com/dcom
experience. You may be interested to know that the SCA architecture
takes these into account, and this is detailed in Jim Marino's book
"Understanding SCA", which contains a discussion that echoes your
view, from which I'll quote: "It may seem odd that a technology
designed for building distributed applications specifies local service
contracts as the default when defined in Java. This was a conscious
decision on the part of the SCA authors. Echoing Jim Waldo’s seminal
essay, “The Fallacies of Distributed Computing,” location transparency
is a fallacy...")

Christian, With regard to large data graphs, meta data, datalog/prolog
and logic programming, I would suggest you take a long at RDF/OWL. It
is a burgeoning field of research and my view would be that the
clojure commmunity embraces it rather than attempt to reduplicate it.

Is Clojure's Json-esque data model suitable for large data graphs? No,
it isn't. Nor is sql or xml. That's the end of that story. But RDF/OWL
is specifically designed for that, and it is very well designed.
Clojure though is an ideal complement to that.