>> Read my blog post (written a year ago; updated several times to ensure
>> it works with newer versions of Clojure and Leiningen):
>
>> http://corfield.org/blog/post.cfm/getting-started-with-clojure
>
>> Now replace clojure.org/getting_started with something like that and I
>> think most of the complaints would go away.
>
> ++++1.  That's really all there is to it.  The starting path needs to
> be Lein and lein repl.  If that one section on the Clojure.org website
> were changed (it's been there for what----two years?) it would look so
> much better to newcomers.  Lein can at least get people up and
> running, and give them time to play with Clojure while they figure out
> IDEs.

Here's a possible plan:

1. Core will produce a smaller, up-to-date page for
clojure.org/getting_started. This page will do less, and will link out
prominently to the contributor wiki. Turnaround time on this: probably not
before the announcement [1] on July 20. We're quite busy atm.

2. Between now and then, please help make the contributor wiki
(http://dev.clojure.org/display/doc/Getting+Started) better!  Some obvious
things:

2a. Create a "no decisions needed" path for beginners. I share the opinion that
this should not be IDE-based.

2b. Link out to the various other resources that are particularly useful for
beginners.

Stu

Stuart Halloway
Clojure/core