Lars,

Yes, they are different things. :) Ext Core is probably close in scope
to jQuery by itself. But you can really build Ext JS modularly and use
only what you want. Also, jQuery + plugins ends being just as full-
featured as the complete Ext JS (though the quality of jQuery plugins
tends to be very spotty, IMO.)

Praki, the short answer is that:

1) Ext JS uses the flyweight design pattern throughout, which saves a
lot of resources (it means far less instances are created). Everything
in jQuery is heavyweight.
2) Ext JS has a template-based widget rendering pipeline.
3) Both the above have very real-world performance improvements. I
moved one of my applications from jQuery to Ext Core and had a 400%
performance gain.
4) Ext JS has a very nice class system. I'm not a huge fan of object
orientation, but admit that it makes a lot of sense in widget/
component environments.
5) jQuery plugin architecture is very incoherent. Try to design your
plugin and see!