On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Rich Hickey <richhic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why all the attention to :use - I thought everyone agreed using it is a bad
> idea?
> The only benefit
> I see is that you can avoid a (minimum 2 character) prefix.

The other benefit is it saves you from the cognitive load of having to
know exactly what namespace every given function comes from in order
to use it.

For some libraries the burden of knowing which namespace a function
comes from is significant (e.g., Incanter).

Also, those namespace prefixes really get in the way if you are
defining a DSL, or redefining things from Clojure's core (e.g.,
because you want to use an enriched cond macro).

In a nutshell, when working within a specific domain, sometimes you
want to take a certain set of functions/macros as "primitive" to your
program, and don't want to constantly have to think of the details of
how the library that defines them is structured.