Wow, forget everything I said, this has nothing to do with macro
expansion.  Looks more like inside a function you can only def
something in the same namespace as the function:

user> (defn ff [] (in-ns 'foo.core2) (def anything5 10))
#'user/ff
user> anything5

Var user/anything5 is unbound.
  [Thrown class java.lang.IllegalStateException]

user> (ff)
#'user/anything5
foo.core2> (in-ns 'foo.core2)
#<Namespace foo.core2>