Please excuse the self-reply;

Looking at the compiled version of (keyword?), I can see a line that appears
to compare the first character of the keyword string against a
multi-character string constant:

cljs.core.keyword_QMARK_ = (function keyword_QMARK_(x){
var and__3574__auto____2211 = goog.isString.call(null,x);

if(cljs.core.truth_(and__3574__auto____2211))
{*return cljs.core._EQ_.call(null,x.charAt(0),"ï· ");*
} else
{return and__3574__auto____2211;
}
});

Stepping into cljs.core._EQ_ in the debugger shows that the first argument
is one character long, but the second is 3 characters long.

Is this just some encoding issue in my setup? I'm on Mac OS X 10.5, and I
got the same result in FF 6 and Chrome 13.