I was about to say that you best bet would be redefining the relevant
functions/macros, when I realized that you cannot do that with def,
because it's a special form.
So short of patching clojure, I don't think one can monitor var
interning. (addition to a namespace)

What you can do, is monitoring redefinition:

> (def x "old value")
> (add-watch #'x :redef println)
> (def x "new value")
:redef #'user/x old value new value