Ok, I followed the simple instructions, but ran into a minor problem.

It seems that the Aquamacs version of slime conflicts with the clojure
setup, and should be disabled. This version of slime (as delivered by the
Aquamacs folks) is installed in /Library/Application Support/Aquamacs
Emacs/SLIME/. Since I am not going to be using slime with Common Lisp for a
while, I just deleted the afore-mentioned directory. There is no doubt a
more subtle way, but for now I don't care.

My guess is that the majority of people using Aquamacs and clojure may not
have had slime set up as I had for use with Common Lisp, so the conflict may
not have been evident.

I now get a toplevel when I navigate to a leiningen project and do M-x
clojure-jack-in, so HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

Thanks.

- J -