Right.  I didn't see this earlier (http://dev.clojure.org/display/doc/
Documentation+for+1.3+Numerics).  We're all on the same page now.  (=

> If the doc string is confusing, please propose alternate language.

Updating the '=' docstring to match that page sounds appropriate ie
adding "...,but not between floating points and integer types."

This kind of change in equality semantics seems prone to cause really
sinister bugs in old 1.2 programs not well unit tested, so I've got a
general concern that there's no easy upgrade (like an =' (prime)) for
old programs that may have relied on this documented functionality.