> I use Base64 encoding a lot and the slow implementation is hurting a
> lot. It's slower than Sun misc encoder/decoder
> and that one is very very slow. I was using Sun's implementation a bit
> and it took 80 seconds to encode a 56 MB file.
> Then I found this: http://migbase64.sourceforge.net/
> It loaded from a disk drive and encoded the same file in 0.3 seconds!
> Would it be possible to have Clojure contrib use an implementation
> like this and thus enable all Clojure developers to have lightning
> fast Base64 encoding/decoding? I know having everything implemented in
> clojure is a big thing around here but in case of Base64 encoding and
> regular expressions I think the language would benefit greatly by
> having implementations which are orders of magnitude faster than
> default implementations in java. Did I say regular expressions?
> http://www.tusker.org/regex/regex_benchmark.html
> Like Rich Hickey said: why should we reinvent file streams and sockets
> in each language?
> I think the same principle applies to Base64 and regular expressions,
> especially when in Clojure we have an opportunity to replace standard
> java implementations with ones that are orders of magnitude faster.
> What are your views on this?

I too would like a fast base64. There are a few different things we could do:

1. Vet the best Java one and link it from contrib.base64 (and possibly
deprecate the contrib as well).

2. Approve a base64 lib for inclusion by reference in contribs.

3. Write a fast clojure one (possibly a direct port of the project you link, if
it is the best).

I have several Clojure projects that ship with no binary dependencies. This is
a maintenance virtue, which is why I think #3 is important.

If somebody writes a good one I will fast track getting it into contrib.

Stu