Thank you for your persistence on this subject : I'm sure that I'm not
the only lurker on this list that you manage to get interested in LP.

I wanted to share two thought that I had when looking at your LP take
on Clojure code :

1°) The infrsastructure should really lower the barrier to
participation as wiki did for wikipedia.
I gain some insight into the persistent data structures in Clojure
implementation as I ported persistent vector to C++ : I wish I could
just jump in and add that insight as a few paragraphs. Programs
nowadays can be massive hence the need of collaborative developpement.
A github account would be more appropriate imho that a http server.

2°) It was my understanding that Clojure implementation was both large
and poised for some overhaul (Clojure in Clojure ?). On the other
hand, I heard that Clojurescript implementation was damn small and
maybe the experience carried from Clojure implementation means that
its foundation will last : maybe it could be an opportunity for a LP
project ?

Best Regards,

PS: I'm seeing awsome potential in LP as a teaching tool ! I long for
the day where I can direct my students to LP projects to help them
understand the tought processes that went into great programs.

On Oct 27, 7:58 pm, daly <d...@axiom-developer.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 00:17 -0700, Mark Engelberg wrote:
> > Tim,
>
> > I recall that at some point you described your setup for doing Clojure
> > literate programming, and if I recall correctly, you were primarily
> > working in LaTeX, relying on incremental compilation to test little
> > snippets of code as you wrote them.
>
> Yes, the idea is to write a literate version of Clojure,
> seehttp://daly.literatesoftware.com/clojure.pamphlethttp://daly.literatesoftware.com/clojure.pdf
> similar in style to "Lisp in Small Pieces". (The effort has been
> stalled temporarily while I try to find new employment.)
>
> Open the source code. Stare at it. Ask yourself if you understand
> exactly why it was needed, why it is structured that way, what would
> happen if you changed it and what else depends on this code. Imagine
> your job is to maintain and modify it but Rich is not available for
> questions and answers.
>
> Ultimately that is what matters. In the long term the code will be
> the only remaining artifact after Rich leaves the project. Look at
> Sourceforge and you will see thousands of dead projects that will
> never be picked up because they are just trees of code, dead code.
> Et tu, Clojure?
>
> Literate programming is about making code live.
> I like Clojure and I really want it to live.
>
> Think long term. Imagine a better way.
>
> Tim Daly

Thank you for your persistence on this subject : I'm sure that I'm not
the only lurker on this list that you manage to get interested in LP.

I wanted to share two thought that I had when looking at your LP take
on Clojure code :

1°) The infrsastructure should really lower the barrier to
participation as wiki did for wikipedia.
I gain some insight into the persistent data structures in Clojure
implementation as I ported persistent vector to C++ : I wish I could
just jump in and add that insight as a few paragraphs. Programs
nowadays can be massive hence the need of collaborative developpement.
A github account would be more appropriate imho that a http server.

2°) It was my understanding that Clojure implementation was both large
and poised for some overhaul (Clojure in Clojure ?). On the other
hand, I heard that Clojurescript implementation was damn small and
maybe the experience carried from Clojure implementation means that
its foundation will last : maybe it could be an opportunity for a LP
project ?

Best Regards,

PS: I'm seeing awsome potential in LP as a teaching tool ! I long for
the day where I can direct my students to LP projects to help them
understand the tought processes that went into great programs.

PS2: I'd be willing to help fund LP work on Clojure[Script], now that
donations to Clojure are not possible anymore .