> I put a logging.properties file in the resources directory of the project
> but it does not seem to pick it up. Do I have to do something else to
> override the default logging from the java library I am using?

You still need to load the properties and tell the logger to use them.
 Assuming it is using log4j, something like the following should do
that (completely untested though):

  (:require [clojure.java.io :as io])
(with-open [s (io/input-stream (io/resource "logging.properties"))]
  (org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator/configure
    (doto (java.util.Properties.)
      (.load s))))