On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:54 PM, daly <d...@axiom-developer.org> wrote:

> > The combination of literate + TDD seems forbidding.
>
> Are you finding it hard to explain why you wrote a test?
>
> Tim Daly

I decided awhile back when trying to answer questions about literate
programming, that people get caught up in the moving parts, and not in what
the approach actually yields.  Your statement above puts it nicely and
succinctly, and hearkens back to Knuths original articles.  Lately I
emphasize the woven text (without inititially calling it that) and ask the
person I'm talking with to imagine writing an article or book about their
code, how it works, with proofs where appropriate.  That article should be
written as a work of literature.  Not all literature has to be Hugo or
Melville (or Jack Kerouac, or Gertrude Stein for that matter).  Some
programs are more appropriately Mickey Spillane or Terry Pratchett, or even
in the style of a manual for an electric razor.  The point is that it
should be satisfying to read and comprehensively informative.

Test code, and descriptions of external libraries are no different from any
other sections of the article or book.  The most important thing is to
introduce them into the work at point most conducive to the reader's
understanding.

I really believe that there's no programming or engineering methodology
which doesn't lend itself to literate programming.  If it can be described,
it can be presented in the form of an article.  If it can't be describe in
human language it's probably terrible code.

Larry