I would recommend sticking with namespaced keywords to avoid clashes with
var metadata keys.

Remember qualified keywords respect namespace aliasing and ::keyword is
qualified in the current namespace.
These can help making the code more readable.

You could store keywords in vars if namespaced keywords really bothered you.

(def mykey ::mykey)

Thanks,
Ambrose