Doesn't this line of your example  run as test?
user=> (ns jay.test (:require [clojure.contrib.sql :as sql]))
=========
The other code  I listed was code to run as a clojure program , not as
leiningen, which you said was missing lines of code after the (ns

I apologize for my lack of understanding, but I feel I must be able to
access databases or I can't use clojure