I'm trying to get syntax highlighting (font-lock) to work in the
repl buffer provided by slime as described here:
https://github.com/technomancy/swank-clojure

(add-hook 'slime-repl-mode-hook
          (defun clojure-mode-slime-font-lock ()
            (let (font-lock-mode)
              (clojure-mode-font-lock-setup))))

The results are not visibly different from having not added this
slime-repl-mode-hook.

Once the repl buffer is open, I can get font-lock to work by
doing this manually:

M-x clojure-mode-font-lock-setup
M-x font-lock-mode (turning it off)
M-x font-lock-mode (turning it back on)

What am I misunderstanding?

I'm running:

 - Emacs 24.0.91.1
 - clojure-mode 1.11.5
 - slime 20100404.1
 - slime-repl 20100404
 - clojure 1.3.0
 - clojure-maven-plugin 1.3.8
 - swank-clojure 1.3.4

Incidentally, what's with this strange form of let?

  (let (font-lock-mode) ;; <- shouldn't this bind variables?
    (clojure-mode-font-lock-setup))

// Ben