Is there any reason why ClojureScript does not return a source file and
line number when there are reader errors?  All I get is a long stack trace
that only has line numbers for the clojure/clojurescript code that threw -
not very helpful.

Looking at the source for cljs.compiler/compile-file* and
clojure.lang.LispReader, it seems like this information is readily
available.  A simple catch clause could be added to compile-file* that
would wrap the exception with that information.  I'd be willing a make a
patch and submit it.