On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Daniel Gagnon <redalas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Chip Collier <pho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was also intending on using the logo in such a way to communicate that
>> a site I'm building is "powered by clojure" or something to that effect
>> with a link to clojure.org. Is that frowned upon?
>>
>> Chip
>
> Unfortunately, trademark laws are written in such a way that allowing this
> risk making Rich lose his trademark. If he knows about it, he must put a
> stop to it otherwise he can't claim to own the trademark. This is quite
> different from copyrights where you are the author no matter what.

I don't know if this differs in other countries, but in America that's
a gross oversimplification at best.

First of all, one only has to police unauthorized use of the
trademark. One can authorize its use under particular circumstances,
and then those uses don't need to be policed to avoid losing the
trademark.

Second, trademark law only covers "use in commerce". Use on a personal
webpage would not be covered, and would not have to be policed or risk
losing the mark. Use on a commercial site (which might be broadly
inclusive of, for instance, pages with revenue-generating ads) might
be another matter, if it's seen as implying an endorsement or a claim
to be the product/service the mark names. But...

Third, use of the mark in a purely factual manner is not, to my
knowledge, governed by law. So, a store needn't negotiate a license
with Coca Cola Inc. to say they have Coca Cola for sale, at least as
long as they aren't lying. Saying a site is powered by X, when it
really is powered by X, may fall under the same rule, given that
there's no implication that the site *is* X or is endorsed by X.

Identifying a noncommercial user group as a Clojure user group would
be analogous to identifying a noncommercial Web site as powered by
Clojure, to my mind. Trademark law would not apply, and Rich wouldn't
risk losing the trademark by not sending a lawyer after the group.

However, an earlier post claimed Rich had *copyrighted* the logo,
which is another kettle of fish. On the one hand there's no need to
police use or risk losing a copyright; on the other, a copyright
covers noncommercial use as well as commercial. I'm not sure how
copyrightable a fairly simple logo design really is, though. There are
circumstances that exempt one from needing a copyright license, "fair
use", that tend to include noncommercial activities that don't harm
the copyright holder's market. If Rich has copyrighted the logo, but
isn't selling copies or cheap licenses to use it, a noncommercial use
might well be found to be a fair use.

Personally, I think it would be silly to block uses of the logo to
refer to Clojure in circumstances that don't imply an endorsement that
doesn't exist, but obviously Rich is not obligated to share my opinion
of what would be silly.