I detail what I mean about "insanely complex" here:

http://github.com/straszheimjeffrey/The-Kiln/wiki/Why

And I would reject any description of the Kiln as "imperative", as such.
It does allow for side effects, but that is a matter of design and taste.
You could use it without side effects.

Ultimately, it is a dataflow model, albeit one where each cell
is only be computed once. This makes it the opposite of a
"cells-alike" library, where you want to model statefull cells
changing. The Kiln is for when your cells do not change, at
least over the lifetime of a particular kiln.

During a webapp request, the `current-user` is a fixed value, as
is `request-uri` and `response-main-body`, etc. . I find that managing
the dataflow between this stuff is an endless headache.

And no, it is not a FSM. FSM's model things that change. Kilns
model things that do not (over the lifetime of a single kiln).