On May 7, 2012, at 12:37 AM, HelmutKian wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I'm a fairly experienced Common Lisp programmer.  By that I mean I've read
> PAIP, On Lisp, Let Over Lambda, and written several "real world" CL
> applications and taught the principles of FP using Racket as a TA.
>
> Now I'm looking to learn Clojure. What would be the best resource for someone
> who is already pretty comfortable with Lisp?

For me, coming to Clojure ore from Common Lisp and Scheme than from Java, the
biggest hurdles weren't the language itself but rather the issues with setup,
editing environments, build tools and configurations, dependencies, classpaths,
etc. Many of the concepts underlying these things were foreign to me, at least
in their Java-world guises. If any of this rings true to you then I'd recommend
starting with the clooj lightweight IDE, which makes a lot of these issues go
away (for me at least), in conjunction with leiningen (invoked from the command
line after adding dependencies to your project.clj) to manage dependencies. You
can get clooj here: https://github.com/arthuredelstein/clooj -- I'd download
the latest "standalone" jar, double click it to launch the IDE, create a
project, and begin working there. If you do your Lisping in emacs then there's
great support for that route in Clojure too, and maybe that's where you want to
end up, but I (and others) have found setup and configuration to be nontrivial.
Doubtless others on this list will disagree with that :-), and of course YMMV,
but that's my 2cents.

On the language itself I recommend watching Rich Hickey's "Clojure for Lisp
Programmers" talk (part 1 is here:
http://blip.tv/clojure/clojure-for-lisp-programmers-part-1-1319721) for
starters. After that I personally used Stuart Halloway's "Programming Clojure"
text but there are now several others that are also good.

 -Lee