"Yes emacs is very weird for newbies, but most clojurians use it."

I tend to think this is an unnecessary barrier for entry - yes, people
would be more productive in the long run using emacs, but it has it's own
big learning curve, and is definitely not necessary to get started in
clojure.  It's great to have comprehensive instructions for people who want
the full power of emacs - but we should also make sure there are clear
"getting started" instructions for people who are happy with a smart text
editor and a repl.

- Korny

On 15 June 2012 07:09, fenton <fenton.trav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like the idea of taking care of copyright properly, thanks Sean for the
> links to those pages.  I think the black and white split, docs =
> confluence, code = github, is not so good.  I think John's point about the
> *.md files being a very good place for documentation.  I think the right
> way to do the documentation is like this:
>
> 1 - github with *.md.
> 2 - take care of copyright like you are now.
> 3 - have a trusted person be the owner of the repo...Phil/Sean or someone
> else like that.
> 4 - let folks clone, edit and then send pull requests back to the site
> owner.
>
> my personal approach would be to give commit access to whoever seemed
> reasonable, though I know that freaks some people out.
>
> I'm not going to give up the wonderful prettiness that github does with a
> line like:
>
> ```clojure
> (defn myfunc [x] (+ 2 x))
> ```
>
> which i can't do with confluence.  This group is about a programming
> language, nice colorizing is really great for documentation.
>
> I think having directed tutorials one for each of mac/linux/windows.  Then
> these tutorials should go start to finish with the canonical implementation
> for that platform.  Yes emacs is very weird for newbies, but most
> clojurians use it.  There are reasons why they use it, and as long as we
> can have good docs around these things, then its okay.  It's like
> standardization.  I can sympathize with the concept of only teaching one
> thing at a time.  I totally agree with that.  But I also am not a big fan
> of teaching people something that they'd then throw away.
>
> If anyone wants commit permissions to my repo, just send me your github
> name, and I'll add u.  I'd prefer that the clojure community took up some
> documentation inside of github with *.md files and that repo used instead,
> obviously tho.
>
> Cheers.
>

> On Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:31:44 AM UTC-7, Phil Hagelberg wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM, David Della Costa
>> <ddellaco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I also think that, at present, while coming in through Leiningen is
>> > definitely the most painless way to do things (I'm really loving it
>> > actually, as a Ruby dev it kind of seems like rvm + bundler + rake all
>> > wrapped up in one handy package), trying to navigate whether to use
>> > 1.x or 2.x preview is a bit confusing--and the variety of docs
>> > available for setting things up is confusing.
>>
>> Yeah, as of the last release we're pretty much advising everyone to go
>> with 2.x, but the docs still need to be updated to reflect that. What
>> are some of the confusing docs you mention? Most people have said the
>> install process is pretty simple.
>>
>> > Similarly, it's easy to
>> > get lost (as a beginner) between namespace issues with packages and
>> > how to set things up properly with Leiningen.  It'd be good to have
> [...]

Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com http://korny.info
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit
playing" - O.W. Holmes