You keep talking about performance.  I'm a long way from being a clojure
expert, but one thing I *do* know is that premature optimization is the
root of many many evils.

May I suggest you first get your app working, in a clean understandable
fashion, ideally with some solid unit tests. Then, and only then, profile
it, work out if it performs adequately, and optimise the parts that need it?

(apologies if this is the approach you are already taking - it's bit clear
from your posts if that is the case)

- Korny