On Jun 18, 2012, at 3:02 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> There's really no need to obscure subjects.  For all your filtering
> needs, there's the List-ID header:

> Here's a SIEVE snippet you can install somehow to your IMAP server to
> move messages to this list to some special group. (Most providers have a
> web GUI for easily writing such rules.)

Sigh.

I believe that the OP's interest (certainly mine in supporting him) was to have
the list identified in the subject line so that we can see it, with our
eyeballs, in the subject lines, in interfaces that list messages by subject.
Like we can do with most other mailing lists, since including list names in
subject lines is a pretty widely adopted practice. We know full well that the
source of the message is available elsewhere in the header, and that this can
be used to move messages (as I do for mail from various other lists, etc.), but
the point isn't to move messages -- it is to have the list name actually in the
subject. Depending on how you read your mail this can be handy.

If most people are reading their email on tiny devices and the extra characters
are really a hassle then fine, but all of these replies about ways to move
messages are irrelevant.

Sean Corfield's idea of using AppleScript to actually change the subject lines
automatically IS to the point, although its almost comically complicated and
this isn't a big enough deal for me to resort to that sort of duct tape and
glue (although I appreciate the effort and the cleverness of the approach!).

 -Lee