On Aug 5, 2012, at 4:18 PM, Mark Engelberg wrote:

> Also, although it was a breaking change to add throw-on-duplicate behavior to
> many types of maps and sets, reverting back to 1.2 behavior could not
> possibly be a "breaking change" in the literal sense.  Anyone whose code
> works right now on 1.4, by definition, has no duplicate keys.  Therefore,
> relaxing the restriction on duplicate keys can't possibly affect their
> existing code and cause it to break.

Not quite true; imagine some code that tried to construct a set literal from
some variables, catching IllegalArgumentException to deal with duplicate values.

But I doubt there's any code in the wild that relies on this behavior yet, and
I agree that set literals should be reverted to the 1.2 behavior.