There's a survey about future features and focus of Java and the JVM:

http://www.infoq.com/research/priorities-java-jvm
http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/08/priorities-java

As far as I know, from a Clojure perspective, we would like to see
"tail-call optimization" and "tagged numbers" in the JVM. Perhaps someone
can give me a hint as to which of the options contain features that would
benefit Clojure?

If we're seeing Java as some kind of assembly language, which serves us
best by being as stable as possible, then I guess compatibility is very
important and cleaning up old mistakes and removing deprecated stuff is
not.

Any other conclusions?