Moreover, not only it starts an old version of Clojure, but it
randomly picks a clojure version each time I start the repl (?!) from
within the same project directory

$ lein repl
nREPL server started on port 7888
REPL-y 0.1.0-beta10
Clojure 1.3.0

$ lein repl
nREPL server started on port 7888
REPL-y 0.1.0-beta10
Clojure 1.2.1

$ lein repl
nREPL server started on port 7888
REPL-y 0.1.0-beta10
Clojure 1.3.0

Absolutely no clue. I even removed all Clojure versions from ~/.m2
just in case that was messing up something but no help.

And I do have Clojure 1.4.0 listed in my project.clj:

(defproject blah/blah "1.0.0-SNAPSHOT"
 :dependencies [[org.clojure/clojure "1.4.0"]

Cheers,
Leonardo Borges
www.leonardoborges.com