On Sep 7, 2012, at 12:33 AM, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Rich Hickey <richhic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've started to document a subset of Clojure's data format in an effort to
>> get it more widely used as a data exchange format, e.g. as an alternative to
>> JSON.
>>
>> Please have a look:
>> https://github.com/richhickey/edn
>
> The current specification has two problems that have bitten us on
> other projects (and with other formats): it has no specified encoding
> for strings, and it has no native mechanism for binary data.  It would
> be awesome if you could consider both in the format.
>
> Strings without encoding are an interoperability headache, even if
> they allow binary data - someone will forget to tag the data, or will
> just throw whatever random 8-bit encoding in, and problems arise.

I'd like to simply specify UTF-8 for edn in toto.

> Strings with a specific encoding (like JSON and UTF-8) are great, but
> they can't carry binary, so something specific is needed - and
> hopefully something better than "base64 into the string".

Do you object to the size of base64, or the use of convention? edn is opposed
to convention, since how do you know when to apply an approach to a particular
string? That's the problem people have today with JSON - they cram things into
strings but only know to deal with them from context.

We're going to get a standard tagged literal for binary data, was considering:

#bin "base64data"

I'm interested in feedback on problems with that, or alternatives.

Rich