I'm not aware of what changes made in 1.4 could cause this performance
degradation.

Out of curiosity, are you willing to share your code for performance profiling
of future Clojure versions?  i.e. is it open source already and so that
wouldn't be a problem, or is it closed source?

Have you run a profiler on your tests to see where the time is spent with
Clojure 1.3 vs Clojure 1.4?

Andy