conj can surely produce maps, and does so happily in the following cases:

(conj {} [:foo :bar])
(conj {} {:foo :bar})

I suggesting adding printlns or logging or a debugger and checking the
value of this-users-params, it is almost certainly not what you expect
it to be.

as a side note creating a date object just to call getTime is kind of
gross, try (System/currentTimeMillis)

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Sean Corfield <seancorfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM, larry google groups
> <lawrencecloj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> (defn add-to-logged-in-registry [this-users-params]
>>   (let [right-now (. (Date.) getTime)
>>         new-user-entry (conj this-users-params { "updated" right-now })]
>>     (if (:username new-user-entry)
>>       (swap! registry assoc (:username new-user-entry) new-user-entry))))
>>
>> The if statement seems to never be true.
>

> conj produces a sequence, not a map, so the lookup of :username fails. Try
> new-user-entry (assoc this-users-params "updated" right-now)
> --
> Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
> An Architect's View -- http://corfield.org/
> World Singles, LLC. -- http://worldsingles.com/
>
> "Perfection is the enemy of the good."
> -- Gustave Flaubert, French realist novelist (1821-1880)

And what is good, Phaedrus,
And what is not good—
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?